Monday, November 23, 2009

Paper discussion won't work!

Let me try to be controversial... I don't think you can get people to read and discuss papers ahead of time. Maybe someone will read some papers ahead of time if you publish the proceedings on-line a week before the conference. Can you do that?

If not, you will depend on people to post discussion at the conference. It might be worth experimenting with a live multiple person stream during the session. I agree with the comment about wanting to protect the speaker. I think the way to do that is to have a moderator. Doesn't have to do much, just push through or hold back a comment.

One way to seed the discussion might be to put a link to the paper and a list of links to referenced works in the paper - or maybe just a collection of <5 links.

What are the high value, low cost items to collect? I think it is slides, demo video, and pictures.

Hence, my suggestion is "do less but make it easy and efficient to use."

No comments:

Post a Comment